Sunday 4 March 2012

Route Details (at last!)

OK, so this has been a long time coming . . . but I've finally got around to producing a route map. The ride will last 5 days with approximately 300 miles to cover. The 5 legs of the journey can be briefly summarised;

Day 1 - Macclesfield to Earby . This is via the city centre, but departing at about 5am to avoid the chaos. I have kevlar tyres fitted ready . . . this isn't intended to make the tyres bulletproof for the journey through the suburbs, but rather to hopefully fend off the 'Friday night fallout' which will inevitably be strewn everywhere.

Day 2 - Earby to Kendal. No doubt the promise of Lakeland ales at the terminus of this day will keep progress swift, despite the inevitable headwind.

Day 3 - Kendal to Carlisle. This will be the first (of several) big climb days, of course this means there should be some fun downhills too. Still roughly in the Lake District area so hopefully suitable liquid replenishment will be available in the evening.

Day 4 - Carlisle to Denholme. Today will be the day we sail over the border into Scotland. Of course, I say sail, but that would only be applicable if it was flat and with a tailwind . . . but it isn't, it's uphill and I expect we'll have a headwind too. I will try to appease the weather gods by sacrificing a few bottle caps from the night before, but I'm keeping my hopes fairly restrained just in case my efforts are ignored.

Day 5 - Denholme to Edinburgh. The last day will see some pretty big climbs, but what I am rather hoping will be a spectacular descent into the city. I am conscious that if my brakes fail on this descent I'll have two options; a sea estuary or take my chances with the trains by freewheeling across the Forth Rail Bridge. Let's hope the brakes work . . .

Anyway, here's the route map showing the above days:


2 comments:

  1. Are you stopping at mine on the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably unlikely I'm afraid :-( We are following the valley up east of the Forest of Bowland, this will take us north of Lancaster and we don't really want to double back on ourselves!

      That said, you never know what might happen . . . !

      Delete