Wednesday 14 March 2012

Mechanical tweaks and fundraising update

Well after I was alarmed to discover I'd completely knackered the chain on the bike the other day, it now has a new chain, sprockets and a chainring, meanwhile I now have oily hands which also smell of petrol. Nice. In the process, I've tweaked the gear ratios slightly to give me a marginally lower climbing gear (every little helps) without sacrificing too much of the top end gearing.

The fundraising is going very well too; I've collared a fair number of colleagues on top of the friends and family who have already donated. A big thank you to everyone who has! I'm now over halfway to my £750 target, with £410 raised so far!

I've also discovered an interesting app, courtesy of a colleague, called 'Glympse' (the app is called this, not the colleague). This enables me to send out a signal on my mobile 'phone, allowing people to track my progress in real time (including my speed . . . so unless you enjoy watching paint dry, you might want to look at something else when I'm climbing up towards Shap). I've not yet worked out how I'll manage this, but probably set out a time each day when I'll be 'viewable' for an hour or so. I suspect the battery drain is immense so I doubt I'll get much time before the mobile dies, not to mention a lot of the places I'll be in will be fairly remote and this app will require a reasonable internet connection. More to come on that later anyway . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment