Sunday 12 February 2012

The Folding Adventure - Inception

OK, so plenty of people have heard of folding bicycles (especially those of you in London). Many of you have probably seen them and the chances are if you have, you've seen a Brompton. These eccentric machines are typically used to travel short urban distances and this is the use mine has seen until now (apart from one frenzied ride in a storm to get to another train line as my local one was blocked . . .).

As I do annually, I am due to spend a long weekend in the Scottish Highlands at Easter and had been toying with the idea of cycling part (or all) of the outward journey. No issues, I have a touring bike and the cycle would be pleasant. However, the travel logistics cause problems for the return journey so I was a little stumped, at least until I spotted my Brompton winking at me from the corner of the room. The idea was born: Macclesfield to Edinburgh by folding bicycle! Furthermore, I reckon it is a quirky enough idea to be able to raise a few quid for charity along the way too - more on this later.

Before any of this though, there is a slight question mark hanging over this; can I actually get everything I need for a cycle tour onto a little folding bike?! There's only one way to find out . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment